Monday, April 12, 2010

I am a 10K Finisher!


I am a 10K Finisher!



Yep, that's right, I finished 10K run for Mizuno Infinity Run 2010! :) My official completion time was

76   2555 Bernardina Ong       

27 F 54:28 5:27

Not that bad for my first 10K road run. And it was a great achievement as it is with much sweat and hardship involved.

At around halfway of the race which was when I was returning to the Buendia flyover, I really thought I would not be able to make it, that I would have to walk all the way back... I think it was because I was not used to the air pollution as we were on the road running while cars on the other side were passing by, the weather was humid and hot, and mostly because my energy was drained... Just as I was about to give up and just go on running and walking until I reached the finish line, good thing there were two guys ahead of me that was one a coach I think for he was the one doing the pacing and keeping time for his mate. I followed them all the way through to the end. The coach's pacing was really effective for me. I had thanked them upon reaching the finish line but forgot to ask for their name though...:D


Of the 3 runs that I had joined this was my worst so far. :( For my first 2 runs, which was both for 5K, I would just need some rest and gone back on running track again by myself. But on this run, as my first-ever 10K run on the road, I could just reach halfway and would need others' coaching for me to finish the 10K.


Before this run had transpired, I had already registered for the Greenfield Sunset Run in Laguna for 10K thinking that it would be no hard feat for me. But now it showed that I would need to make some preparation for it…

  1. First thing that I would need to do is to change my diet plan. From previously two slices of bread with cheese spread and a cup of water for breakfast, 2 packs of biscuits for lunch, and heavy dinner, it had to be changed to heavy breakfast, burger/sandwich lunch, and light dinner…well hopefully..but dinners are always so delicious…:D
  2. Then I would need to train more. For the 10K run, I had only tried twice to achieve 10K at gym, which is really not enough to have enough stamina.
  3. I would need to join a running group. I had discovered the importance of going in groups during my last run, if I tried then to finish by myself, then I would have walked halfway through to the finish line. But by following a group, I was able to cross the finish line at 54:28.
  4. Need to have enough sleeping time daily. I had been getting really not enough sleep time for the past year, so I think it is time that I train myself for this new habit.
Honestly speaking, after the run, I was about to give up running entirely. For I am already happy with the pounds I had tried so hard to lose for the past 6 months, but if I were to run long distances, then I would need to eat more so I would have enough stored up energy to finish the run. And as I have been mulling it over after the run till now, I have realized that this is something that I should keep on doing, for it would really help me dispose of my bad habits thus forcing me to train myself to become a healthy being thoroughly. :)

2 comments:

Mikey said...

wow nice numbers, congrats!

Berns Ong said...

It's sort of "tsamba", hope I could keep it up or do better next time. Thanks! :)