Sunday, May 2, 2010

Why I am into Running Now..


Quite a number of people were asking me why I am into running now...

Well, it started with a necessity and now it had became a part of my fitness regimen. But how did I get started with running?
As far as I can recall, the realization that I would need to run faster started when two men attempted to snatch my bag away from me while on my way to work.

At that time, I was still working in a contact center and had a graveyard shift schedule. I had to cross a bridge near my house as usual to the place where the public utility vehicles passes by for me to catch a ride to work, when suddenly a man came forth attempting to snatch my bag, I held on tightly to my bag then and tried to struggle with him and even attempted to bite his hands. But I still could not push him away.

Then another man came forth, I thought then that he might be a good Samaritan to help me ward off this snatcher, but found out to my dismay that he was a snatcher as well. I struggled for sometime until all I could do was fell to the ground in an attempt to gain more strength to hold on to my bag.

Good thing at that time there were a number of vehicles coming our way making the road not deserted anymore, so all the snatchers had grabbed then was my bag handle.

But after that incident had taken place, I still could not change my route to work, because there was only one way to catch a ride, which is to pass through the bridge, so as long as I was still working with the same schedule, then I got no other choice but to brave the bridge.

From that day on, whenever I was going near the bridge in the middle of the night, I would run all the way down the bridge to the place where I could catch a ride. Sometimes there were some who had tried to follow me and it made me really frightened whenever I had reached there and still waiting for the right means of transpo to arrive, so I had fully realized then that I would need to learn how to run faster and take good care of my body so I would become more fit for running from the ones who lurks in the darkness.

To train my body to become more fit, I had started to go to gym for workout. But as I did not ask for the assistance of personal trainer there or even ask around for tips, I was just doing my own workout routine whenever I went to the gym then.


The call for me to start running was after my sister had joined the 2010 Century Tuna Superbods Run. It was her first run and she shared to me what had happened on that event and it sounds like fun. She asked me then if I would be interested to join her for the next one she had planned to join which would be the 2010 Unilab Run United for Wellness.

The farthest I had gone then on treadmill was around 2K I think, for I did not want my leg muscles to become bigger, so I was just spending my time in gym playing around with whatever machine was vacant there. But still I agreed to the challenge of 5K run in the Unilab Run for Wellness.

After deciding to join the run, I then started to get serious with learning how to run, for one other reason why I did not like running before was that I would get side stitches whenever I tried to run for more than 5 minutes. So with the run just a week or two away, I had began to ask around and reading some basic info for running, and thanks to the Slimmers World Personal Trainer in Binondo Anthony Ian Alvendia and from my sister's friend Kenley Go's indirect advise to me, I was able to improve my running bit by bit. And just recently, I had started to join a run group adiNation Takbo.ph, through joining the group, I felt that running had became more fun.:)


Starting from 5K run @ 2010 Unilab Run United for Wellness then 2010 Globe-Ayala Land Run for Home, I had already moved on to the 10K run @ Mizuno Infinity Run 2010 and 2010 Greenfield City Sunset Run, and is now going to try the 15K run in the upcoming Neutrogena Run 2010: Catch the Sun. Really hope I could try out the 21K soon! :)



4 comments:

MinnieRunner said...

Wow, ang bilis ng level up mo Berns! The farthest I joined was only a 10K. Gusto ko rin sana mag 15K sa Neutrogena but settled for 10K to have a healthy competition with my angel.

Anyhow, you're fast! Hindi ka na kayang habulin ng mga snatchers :D

I am also experiencing side stitches. But when I had a regular dose of running, hindi ko na un naeexperience.

Forsaken said...

Wow atsi, go for it! MWAH! You'll surely get a good finishtime. Basta always train lang. Endurance and speed training! :D

@Minnie see ya on Neutrogena run!

well, lagi naman pala tayo nagkkita anyway. HAHAHAHAH

Berns Ong said...

Medyo cramming lang ginagawa ko, kaya weak pa talaga base ko, gusto ko kc magka-medal na by June or July...:p Aww..sweet talaga :)

Yep yep! hehehe

Ah ok, thanks :)

Berns Ong said...

@ Sis: Thanks! Keep on running ah, para may kasama ako parati. :-*